Saturday, September 20, 2014

Glass Made from Mables

This is an old video, probably my earliest video that I can easily find. I made this video using a collection of scripts and maybe a library that would eventually become Kirke. I had just started learning how to use POV-Ray... so about fall 2010. We didn't have a development server and I didn't have my desktop Mastodon. To get POV-ray, I had ask for it to be installed on Nyx. I didn't even have anything cool to make a video of, I had just joined my research group! So I asked Kathrine Sebeck for some of her data.




This is a soda-lime glass molecular dynamics simulation rendered in POV-Ray with ray tracing. Each atom was had a sphere created for it with some size meant to represent the atom size. I have no idea what size I used for each, probably the atomic radius given on Wikipedia. Anyways, each of the spheres was made to look like a glass marble by changing the index of refraction. After rendering each frame, I combined them all using FFmpeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment